Shoes are the most easily damaged because they are always stepped on. Well, that is the purpose why people wear shoes, to cover their feet as they walk, run, or do other activities.
Your shoes can tell a lot about your personality. Some shoes would help you pass the job interview or have your presence noticed during a formal event. Other shoes might give people a hint that you love skateboarding. You can buy expensive shoes all you want, but they would not last forever, especially if you do not know how to take care of them.
When you get a new pair of shoes, you feel excited, and you would not let any dirt sit on it for even a second. You always make sure that it is clean. However, as time goes by, the newness of the shoe wears off, and you don’t care about cleaning it anymore. As a result, you will buy a new pair of shoes because the new one you have is already ruined. It will become a cycle.
Luckily, you can increase the life of your shoe by taking care of it the right way.
What are Footwear Rules?
There are rules that you need to follow for the longevity of your shoe. Good practices and the right prevention can ensure that you can use your shoes for a long time.
- Always the right pair of shoes for a particular occasion. All shoes have different functions, so you should treat them differently and use them accordingly. Leather shoes are not advisable when you are going out during cold weather. If you dress appropriately, there is a big chance that you can extend the life of your shoe.
- Look at the quality and not at its price. Most cheaper shoes are made with less durable materials, which means that they will be ruined in a short time. It might look like you are saving money by buying cheap shoes, but it is the other way around. You would surely need replacement more often.
- After getting a new pair of shoes, make sure that you prepare them correctly. It is recommended that you polish, condition, and waterproof it before the first wear.
- Don’t wear the same pair of shoes every day. Give the shoe a time to rest and to let the air inside get out.
- If your shoes have damage, you might first try to repair it instead of buying a new pair. Chances are, you only need to repair or replace its sole.
How to Care for your Dress Shoes?
Water can damage your shoe, so it is best to waterproof them before wearing them. You should use spray-on waterproofing.
- Shoe Polish
This tip only applies to leather shoes. Use shoe polish at least once a month to keep it new and to extend its lifespan.
- Horsehair Brush
A horsehair brush can be used to brush off dirt and other debris from your shoe.
Since you already know how to care for your dress shoes, it is time to shop for a nice pair of dress shoes. If you need some recommendations, you can read a review of Ferro Aldo men’s Lalo Oxford Shoes in any reliable source like the comfortabledressshoes.com.